frequently asked questions
Lumin is a Charlottesville, Virginia based company that was founded in 2016. We make the patented, UL certified Lumin® Energy Management Platform which brings intelligent control to any electrical distribution panel, making ordinary circuits smart. Lumin’s hardware/software system enables responsive load management that can adjust automatically to storage status, electricity pricing, and much more.
Lumin makes ordinary circuits smart, activating responsiveness to a range of complex home energy conditions including grid outages, circuit schedules, homowner inputs & preferences, distribution panel amperage limits, electricity pricing, demand limits and battery charge state and capacity.
At Lumin, we believe, and we’re not alone, that the traditional, centralized, one-way energy grid will give way to a decentralized grid that has local generation (solar), stored energy, and responsive load management. Your own personal microgrid with the traditional grid as a backup. It is happening. Faster in some parts of the world due to climate change, the abundance of solar, and a greater need for resilience. We believe that bringing ordinary circuits to life will help usher in the distributed energy future.
- Save money on your energy bill.
- Eliminate energy waste from “vampire loads” or unnecessary consumption.
- Increase safety and peace of mind (ex. “oops, I left my range on, I can turn it off remotely with Lumin”).
- Improve energy efficiency (know when to replace inefficient or malfunctioning appliances).
Homeowners with solar + energy storage:
- Save $1,000 – $8,000 on day 1, as a result of saved equipment costs and a right sized energy storage system.
- Gain dynamic, reconfigurable, affordable backup
- Can expand their microgrid by adding more storage as budgets allow and lifestyles require
- Can access more power when they need it by load trading during outages
Lumin measures current and voltage through proprietary sensor boards and provides control through relays that are housed within the Lumin Smart Panel (LSP) enclosure.
Yes, the LSP adheres to all relevant National Electric Code requirements and has been certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) to the standards of UL 916 and 61010.
Yes, the LSP comes with a ten-year limited warranty.
The LSP requires approximately 17”X24” of space above/below the circuit breaker panel or 17”X17” of space to the left/right of the circuit breaker panel that is free of any obstructions (conduits, outlets, etc.) The LSP is required to be connected to the internet either via homeowner WiFi or Ethernet cable.
Once installed and configured, the LSP will continue to operate with or without internet connection. All schedules and modes (automations) are stored locally and do not require cloud connection.